Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Knitter's Gift

Photo:


Closeup of Knitting Motif:

Pattern used:

I didn't use a pattern--the tote bag is just a simple rectangle with the sides sewed up and straps stitched on.

To make a flat bottom, I turned up the two lower corners of the tote on the outside and laid the center seam of that little triangle that formed on top of the side seam. I topstitched the two seams together.
The machine embroidery motif came from http://www.emblibrary.com/ .

Materials:


  • The fabric is a white canvas from Hancock Fabrics.

  • Mettler Metrosene 100% poly thread used for the assembly of the bag.

  • Robison Anton 100% poly thread used for the embroidered design.

  • Janome 300E embroidery machine, Bernette Funlock 004 serger, and Bernina 1630 sewing machine used for the project.
I made this bag for a Christmas party gift exchange at our local yarn shop. The person who got it is delighted, which is always nice when giving a gift. The "yummi friends" personalization on the bag is a reference to the group who gathers at the shop to knit.
I want to say a special thank you to everyone who commented so positively on my last post, the wine-colored Slinky dress. The generosity of spirit in our sewing community never fails to amaze and humble me.
Kathryn


4 comments:

meredithp said...

What a great gift! Lucky recipient. I just recently started reading your blog. You are so generous and helpful with your information! And BTW I love the embroiderylibrary "Tweets" series. I've collected a few, particularly needlework related.

Ann said...

What a perfect bag for a knitter. I also love the Tweets series, espcially the rodeo one. I need to start buying them for my collection.

Ann

Anonymous said...

Perfect gift and beautifully made, as usual.

Karendee

gwensews said...

I would love to fill that bag with lucious yarn!