or How I used up the rest of the silk/wool jacquard
Because of the constraints due to pattern matching of the print that I used for the Silk/Wool Swing Jacket, I had oddly-shaped pieces left over. They were big enough for a pencil skirt. So that's what I made.
Because of the constraints due to pattern matching of the print that I used for the Silk/Wool Swing Jacket, I had oddly-shaped pieces left over. They were big enough for a pencil skirt. So that's what I made.
Then I pulled a wonderful piece of wool/poly raisin-brown knit from my stash and made a self-drafted cardigan. The knit is a subtly sparkled wool and coordinated so well with the silk/wool/poly blend that it was uncanny. You've got to love a stash that can offer up a piece like that!
I added the leftover scrap of the knit to some of the silk/wool woven fabric to come up with a pieced top. There are literally molecules of the knit fabric left. Whew!
I should say here that I plan on always wearing the entire ensemble--I doubt that I will wear the skirt and top alone, as I don't want to look like a walking Barcalounger. Big prints can do that to you.
Ensemble Photos:
Front view:

Front closeup:

Cardigan opened:

Top and skirt:


Back view:

Patterns Used:
Top: LJ Designs Margarita Top
Skirt: TNT Vogue pencil skirt pattern
Cardigan: Self drafted
Materials:
Fabrics:
Leftover fabric from Swing Jacket
Raisin brown wool/poly knit from stash
Thread:
TIRES 100% silk thread (monofilament) in sewing machine
MaxiLock 100% polyester thread in serger
Machine Needles:
Size 80 Universal
Machines:
Janome 6600 computerized sewing machine
Elna Pro 905 DCX computerized serger
Things I did with this project (that weren't in the pattern instructions):
Thread:
TIRES 100% silk thread (monofilament) in sewing machine
MaxiLock 100% polyester thread in serger
Machine Needles:
Size 80 Universal
Machines:
Janome 6600 computerized sewing machine
Elna Pro 905 DCX computerized serger
Things I did with this project (that weren't in the pattern instructions):
1. Drafted my own cardigan pattern
This is a very simple pattern. I started with a shawl cardigan (RTW) and using the pin method, traced the outline and then perfected the lines to make a wearable shawl cardigan.
2. Combined woven and knit to make the top
I didn't have enough left over to make a solid top, and I really wanted a raisin-colored top. The closest I could get was to use the tiny bit left from the cardigan for a center panel and use the woven print on the sides and back. Since the pattern was made for knits, I added a center back zipper for ease in getting it on.
Things I learned, or was reminded of in this project:
1. I used clear elastic to stabilize the center knit portion of the top, incorporating it into the seam allowance. I also stabilized the cardigan's shoulder seams with it.
2. When you're dealing with leftover scraps, you've got to take your pattern matching or placement where you can get it. I pretty much had to rely on the serendipity (or not) of the result, since I was lucky to find scraps large enough to make what I had in mind.
3. Never underestimate the power of the robust stash.


11 comments:
You certainly stretched your fabric to make the most of it! The skirt/cardi outfit is lovely, as is the dress.
Wow! Very nice. Love the way you used the solid fabric for the center of the top! Great outfit!
What a gorgeous outfit. Even though your fabric was limited you did a fantastic job with the print,it is perfect :)
This outfit is just stunning! And I liked how you used the scraps! Wowza, wowza, wowza!
How clever you are!!!.It's a lovely ensemble and very inspiring. I've got to go look at my stash right now.
Kathryn,
Your sewing/style is just perfect in every way. I also love how you have made a completely new ensemble using fragments of your large print fabrics. I think the style element of your pieced undertop is lovely and it shows as a solid under your cardi. Again, another treat to see and read about.
Karendee
Great use of the left over fabric. Very clever.
Stunning outfit. Love the mix of textures.
Very beautiful use of your "leftovers" ;-) And, I can just see you reaching out and the surprise mix of your pieced top showing under your cardigan. Or, your cardigan draped over the back of your chair as you lunch with your friends. Perfecto!
As always..;-)
PS. I wish I could live in the neighborhood of my dreams....you on one side and AR on the other.
Stunning!!!!!
Kathryn,
The outfit is spectacular! How wonderful that you were able to use up the extra pieces of the silk/wool. And what a lesson in buying the colors that suit us best - that practice sure made for a happy discovery in your stash!
I love the cardigan - I see many more of these in your future.
Peggy
Post a Comment