Thursday, April 8, 2010

Black/White/Yellow Plaid Silk Sheath

A lined plaid sheath made for my DD.


Sheath Photos:

Front View:

Back View:
I put an invisible zipper in the center back seam


Pattern Used:
McCalls 5923

Pattern photo:





Materials:
Fabrics:

Black/white/yellow 100% silk suiting from Vogue Fabrics, Evanston, Illinois

Black Ambiance lining



Thread:
TIRES 100% silk thread (monofilament) in sewing machine
MaxiLock 100% polyester thread in serger

Machine Needles:
Size 80 Universal

Machines:
Janome 6600 computerized sewing machine
Elna Pro 905 DCX computerized serger


Things I did with this project (that weren't in the pattern instructions):

1. I inserted a full lining instead of using the upper bodice facing pieces provided with the pattern.
2. I fused Angel Weft to all of the pieces before assembling. The fabric was very ravelly and stretched out of shape easily, especially the bias pieces. So I first serged carefully around each piece and then stabilized them with the Angel Weft fusible underlining. Since I placed the lengthwise grain of the fusible along the length of each bias piece, those pieces no longer acted like they were bias. They were as stable as any of the straight of grain pieces.


Things I learned, or was reminded of in this project:
Nothing new. This was a straightforward project.

Things I would do differently, were I to make this sheath again:
Not a thing. I just hope my DD likes it!

27 comments:

Sew-4-Fun said...

Absolutely beautiful and well made, as are all your projects. You have a gift of making everything look so easy.

Vicki said...

Lovely! How could your DD not love it?

Sharon said...

Stunning, I'm sure your DD will love it.

Anonymous said...

I am sure your daughter will love it. It's a gorgeous dress.

Karin (the mrs) said...

What a wonderful dress. I am sure your daughter will love it, it's beautiful!

Lisa said...

Wow your work is so neat and proffessional . That is gorgeous.

Elaray said...

I'm sure your daughter will LOVE this dress!

Mardel said...

Beautiful dress Kathryn!

Linda L said...

Love this sheath, I am sure your daughter will as well.

KID, MD said...

If she doesn't like it, I'd love to give it a good home! This is really adorable.

gwensews said...

Gorgeous dress. I haven't tried Angel Weft. I'll have to order some. Nice sewing, as always.

senaSews said...

Beautiful dress! I like the placing of the plaids.

Claudine said...

Wow Kathryn, what a beautiful dress! I love the fabric, and the workmanship is fantastic!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

OMG! How beautiful is this dress?! And I love how the plaid works on the straight grain and the bias! I am SURE that your DD is going to love this!

Unknown said...

Wow. Gorgeous. Amazing. Your DD is very, very lucky to have such a great mom and a fantastic dress!

Susan Fogel said...

Well I will add my words: gorgeous, beautifully done, interesting design.
It would look good color blocked as well.
Can I be your DD?
I am going to have to buy this pattern.
Please visit my new sewing blog:
www.susansewsdaily.blogspot.com

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

Beautiful sheath dress. You did a perfect job of matching the plaids.

Barb

amber said...

If she doesn't love it, I'd be more than happy to send you my address and I could give it a great home here in LA. ;) Really lovely!

Stash said...

Gorgeous! Perfect pairing of pattern and fabric. Wonderful execution. DD is so lucky to have you in her corner... Her own private fashion house.;-)

Rose said...

Great job! I love the plaid and the bias pieces. Very striking! :) Thank you for sharing the tip about the Angel weft! I'm sure that I will incorporate that into one of my projects.

Rose in SV

shams said...

Such a high-end couture look! I love it. I can just imagine Jackie O (and your daughter) rocking this. Very classic. :)

Tee said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS DRESS. Especially the placement of the plaids, did the pattern have layout instructions to achieve this?

dressed2atee@yahoo.com

Marie-Noƫlle said...

You've made a great use of plaids
I love your DD's dress ans so she will

Gigi said...

Incredible - as usual!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful, Kathryn. Lucky daughter!

Deirdre

meredithp said...

This is stunning! I.must.have. :-)

Ann Made Studio said...

A stunning dress. I love it!
Your work is exceptional~ as usual ;)