Sunday, April 11, 2010

Guess what? I'm a quilter!

I have always been a garment sewist. When my DD went away to college, I promised to make her a quilt for her dorm bed. Well, after two blocks, I was done with my quilting experience. I figured I could have tailored a jacket in the time it took for me to make those two blocks. My sewing time was more precious back then, and I didn't have the time, I thought, to incorporate a quilting learning curve into my sewing life. Suffice to say, she's still waiting for that quilt.

But I recently decided to take a quilt class at our LQS, because I have always loved the optical illusion and geometry inherent with tumbling blocks quilt designs. However, my taste runs to the contemporary, so when I saw the classroom sample wallhanging, I knew I wanted to take the class.

So I hauled my little Featherweight machine, rulers, rotary cutter, etc. to the first class and dove in to the world of quilting. Everyone else in the class was an experienced quilter, and they and my teacher were very helpful.

Since I didn't want to burden the teacher with too many noob questions, I asked some sewing friends on Stitcher's Guild some basic quilting questions. They were all so helpful! Thank you LaurieH, Doris, TerriB, Kathy, BeeBee, Karen, Pipsy, Pina, Threads and Western Wilson for your suggestions and help on that SG topic. LaurieH was expecially generous with her time and information. You all certainly made things easier for me.

So here is my completed project:







The classroom sample had a single color background, was straight across the top (pentagonal), and had no binding (the backing was stitched and turned), which looked nice, but I wanted to add my own spin to the project. I decided to put tumbling blocks into the background and to add a binding, since I needed to learn that technique. I also decided to make my wallhanging larger by adding additional rows of background blocks at the top and bottom, and to make it hexagonal in shape.

As I imagine happens with all quilting classes, everyone's wallhanging was different, with different background fabrics. Seeing everyone's unique approach to the project was such a thrill in the last classes. It was truly a fun sewing experience.



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMgoodness!
And THAT was a first project???!!!
Your fine garment sewing/colour/creative skills shine through!
Beautiful!

Brenda

Tracey said...

It looks great! I'm a garment sewer also, but there is some appeal to cutting and sewing straight lines, over and over rather than to have to worry about fitting a body.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Wow! The wallhanging is beautiful and reflects your personality...your love of color...your love of dimension...and your love of learning something new. I am sooooo impressed!

tumblina said...

That's GORGEOUS! I normally don't like the tumbling blocks (something about the perspective going off to nowhere), but that one has so many great elements to it, I just might have to change my mind.

meredithp said...

Pretty fair first effort!!!-)

Claudine said...

I can't stop look g at the quilt. It's really amazing!

Stash said...

Oh My! It is so beautiful. I love everything about it...the geometric design, the colors, the shape. And, of course it is no less than what we see from you again and again...Perfection.

Rachel said...

That is gorgeous!!! I am a garment sewer myself. I still have a quilt top I started and never finished. The colors are so beautiful in your wallhanging.

Ann Made Studio said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Sharon said...

I am absolutey speechless that this is your first quilting project, but then why should it be any different to the detail you put into your garments.

It is stunning.

Patricia said...

Gorgeous! The workmanship looks absolutely meticulous. LOVE the little shots of colour in the binding!
MP

Kathleen said...

That is an amazing first project....but after checking out your garments I should not be surprised!

Congratulations and welcome to the madness!

Debbie Cook said...

Love it! I'm like you in that I love contemporary quilts and the geometry aspect. Making them myself? Not so much because I get bored quickly.

Meg said...

Yay for finishing and making such a fabulous quilt. (Me too, had plans to make my DD a quilt before she leaves for college but now I think it will just be a duvet.) And that black plaid dress—fantastic!

Kathleen C. said...

One look and I would have known that was your work... the bold use of line and color, the sophisticated arrangement, the meticuklous details...
Excellent sewing and design!

Susan Fogel said...

Gorgeous.
Like you I like modern, clean lines, color and structure.
Your quilt is techinically and stylishly done.
and like other commenters, completing an entire quilt is beyond my patience level.

I am impressed!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Love your quilt! Could you please advise what method you used to hang it on the wall? I'm wondering why the top corners are not drooping down? Thanks, Christine

gwensews said...

Beautiful applique. I'm sure applilquing knit to knit is laborous, but you did a wonderful job. Greawt wall hanging also!