Here a cowl, there a cowl
Part 1: Vogue 8034
I'm intrigued with cowl neck tops lately and wanted to try out some patterns that I've accumulated. The first is an OOP Vogue 8034.
I had a beautiful silk charmeuse print from Watchter's Fabrics in Asheville, a scant 1 yard of 54 inch-wide fabric, that I purchased the last time I was there. It was all that was left on the bolt, and Joyce, the owner, suggested I make a scarf or perhaps a simple cami top from it. But visions of cowl neck blouses danced in my head, through my pattern collection, across my sewing machine and onto my dressform. Here it is:
The blouse looks a little caterwumpus at the bustline, but trust me, it hangs nice and straight on me. I probably should have straightened the cowl a bit before snapping the photos. Oh well, it's late and I've had a glass of wine. Wine brings out my "it's good enough" attitude. :)
The skirt is a silk knit self-drafted pattern that I made a long while ago.
Pattern: Vogue 8034 View A (the blue sleeveless one)
Since silk charmeuse is a fine and slippery fabric, I knew it would be a perfect place to use my favorite sleeveless armhole narrow hem treatment which I talked about here and used again here.
It's from Issue 145 of Threads magazine (November 2009) in which Susan Crane wrote an article about using a very narrow bias binding method on armholes for fine fabrics such as chiffon, silk, and lightweight cotton. The purpose is to provide a neat edge without the bulk-adding facings and also without the seam-weakening clips into the seam allowance.
Essentially, the method has you cut a 2 inch wide strip of bias and press a curve into it. Then you sew it to the armhole. You trim the seam allowance to 1/8 inch (!) and wrap the bias strip around that seam allowance and stitch close to the seamline, thereby stitching the tiny seam allowance to the bias wrap. Next you trim the excess bias strip away, turn the tiny enclosed seam allowance, and topstitch from the right side of the armhole.
Here are some photos of that narrow hem:
Blouse exterior:
Blouse interior:
Before I eked the grey and green print blouse out of my scanty piece of silk charmeuse, I tried the pattern out on a piece of silk animal print fabric from my stash. It made up into a very nice wearable muslin, so I was pleased.
I used the same narrow hem armhole treatment on it as well.
Here it is:
The skirt is an asymmetric-hem pattern, Vogue 2029 (OOP) in a black microfiber fabric that I made back in the day.
Both tops made up very quickly, with hand-picked side seam zippers. They were a break from some intense sewing I've been doing, to clear my head a bit while I awaited the delivery of my fabric for that intense project.














27 comments:
Very nice Kathryn and such a good use of a small piece of fabric.
Terry
Adorable! I like them both.
Those are lovely tops. Elegant, classic, simple in the best way.
Beautiful tops! Amazing what you can squeak out of a little piece of fabric.
Really beautiful tops, Kathryn. What a great way to use a small piece of fabric and highlight a fabulously small waist!
Beautiful, Kathryn! I love the refreshing green--so summery! Hoping the intense project brings you much creative joy!
Both are lovely! I really the green version! Thanks for sharing your method for finishing a tiny hem on slippery fabric. I'd like to try this method the next chance that I get.
Both are really pretty!
Oh, so pretty. I have made this pattern and am now planning to unearth it for another turn. Did you cut the cummerbund thingy on the bias out of your 1yard? That is some clever cutting out!
Beautiful tops, Kathryn. The fabrics are so luxe.
Yes, kbenco, both the midriff pieces and the bodice front are cut on the bias. It took a bit of patience and a lot of luck.
Those are super little tops. Love the color of the first one with it's coordinating skirt. Fabulous!
They are lovely (as usual)!
Lovely tops, Kathryn. Your silk fabric is really lovely.
Karendee
great looking tops Kathryn, love them both
I really like the grey and green draped top. Very elegant. Great pattern choice.
These tops look great, but I am sad to hear the pattern is OOP.
Two very sophisticated tops. The gray and green silk is especially beautiful.
Beautiful tops Kathryn, your work is beautiful.
Lovely tops Kathryn! I am intrigued by the 'intense sewing' comment. Any hints as to what we will be seeing from you?
Kristen
That is a great pattern to use when you have just a small quantity of a beautiful fabric, like you did. Both tops are very pretty. I love the fabrics at Waechter's.
I am always afraid of fowls bc they seem to want to hang in a sideways "v" shape on me. I LOVE that Vogue style bc of the waist area. I couldn't wear it as I don't have much of a waist these days, but it is so pretty.
Hugs, Joy
You have such a wonderful sense of color, Kathryn! And of course your workmanship is superb.ddyvi
Wow Kathryn, your tops are gorgeous! I love the silk. Just enchanting.
I love your top but also love the shape and drape of the skirt. Would you explain your method of drafting it? Is it bias cut? I've looked for a pattern similiar to this but most are either too narrow or too full! Perhaps you already have explained it? Thanks...
Cathy, I drafted the skirt from one that fit me well, since I wanted to use a knit with an elasticized waistband that did not show any gathers at the waistband. Also, the silk knit that I used is beautifully drapey which helps with the hang of the skirt. Sorry I can't be of more help with this. I've heard that Loes Hinse skirt patterns for knits have smooth waistbands with elastic inside as well, so you may want to give that pattern line a look. I've never sewed any of her pattern line, though, so can't give any first-hand knowledge about them.
Best wishes,
Kathryn
Beautiful cowl neck tops, Kathryn. What is it about cowl necks that are so appealing? I love them, even though Nina Garcia doesn't, lol.
Post a Comment