Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Color-blocked Maxidress
Vogue 8575
(click on photos to see larger views)

I fell in love with this photo in the February/March issue of Vogue Patterns magazine.
It uses Vogue 8575, which is out of print but is still available on the Vogue website. I chose to use View F, lengthened.


After a small amount of stashdiving and some online surfing to get a color combo that I liked, I sat right down and made this maxi:


Fabrics: Slinky knit fabric from stash, Fashion Fabrics Club, and from Fabrics World USA.

 Fabrics World USA is an unlikely site for me, since it is rife with misspellings and contextual oddities, but it had the color I wanted, or so I thought. I had never used them before. I ordered using Paypal, which I thought was a safe route for an unknown site. The fabrics were nice, the price was good, and I got my order within 3 days of placing it. All in all, I had a positive experience with Fabrics World USA.


Here are some more photos:
I just finished the dress an hour or so ago and will let it hang for a day or so before hemming it, because sometimes slinky knit likes to grow.


Here are the changes that I made to the pattern:
  1. Cut a size 8 in the shoulders and bodice down to the armscye, grading out to a size 12.
  2. Lengthened the skirt and cut the skirt pattern pieces as directed in the Vogue Pattern Magazine article. I didn't like the sleeves as shown because I thought they were heavy, and that the wide dark band at the elbow would widen the silhouette. Plus, I love wearing sleeveless garments.

  3. Made tucks instead of gathers in the bust.
  4. Lengthened the center front piece by 2 inches and added a bust dart to the side front piece for the bust correction I needed.
  5. Stabilized the front opening, back neckline, shoulder seams and armholes with clear elastic.
  6. Widened the belt and the front bodice inset by 1 1/2 inches to make it more dramatic. I thought the original belt was too skinny for the maxi look.
  7. Lengthened the belt pattern piece to 62 inches.
  8. Completely self-lined the bodice, enclosing the armholes in the lining so that I didn't have to do the "turn under and stitch" thing. This gave the garment finish a much cleaner look.
I think I'm really going to love wearing this dress. It has the summertime criteria of being comfortable, easy to wash and made with happy colors.

24 comments:

shams said...

That is beautiful, Kathryn! Really a nice job of color blocking.

Manitoulin Threads said...

That dress is stunning. I am completely envious!

pdiddly said...

wonderful - love all the colours

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! I love your color combo and the absence of the sleeves! Great dress!!!

Margy said...

What a lovely dress, Kathryn! I really like the color combination you chose.

Crystal said...

I like how it turned out. The back bodice is interesting to my eye.

patti said...

Love it! And you're right--those colors are bursting with joy.

SEWN said...

Wow, this is amazing! What a gorgeous dress.

gwensews said...

That's a beautiful dress. Your color blocking is stunning.

Anonymous said...

Serious wow factor! Yours looks a lot nicer than the one on the model, but when I look at them more closely, I can't figure out why. Maybe the lack of sleeves makes all the difference. Have fun with it!
Claudine (couturearts.wordpress.com)

marysews said...

I like your version. I think I will have to rescue this pattern from the "to sell" box and put it back in the active boxes!

Dixie said...

Wow, what a stunner! Love the colors and the design changes you made. The self-lined bodice sounds like a good idea, too. Have fun wearing this one!

Irene said...

Love, love, love your version of the dress! What a big difference leaving off the sleeves made. Much better, I think. Enjoy wearing it!

Sharon said...

Gorgeous dress and love the colour combination.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

This is a cute dress and I like the sleeveless version over the one with sleeves.

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, your dress is just perfect and I know you will enjoy wearing it. Will it go with your new color blocked shoes or will that be too much color blocking?

Karendee

Monica D said...

I L*VE it!!!

Karin said...

Fantastic result! It's gorgeous! Getting all the fabrics together must have been one of the most challenging parts of the project.

Nikki said...

Saw this on stitcher's guild. I love this dress! Love it! It is so my style. I'll have to give color blocking a try one of these days.

Unknown said...

Hey! This is great, I bet you are so happy with it.
WOW!!

Bundana x

Sassy said...

WOW. It is absolutely fantastic. Impressive.

judibooty said...

I wonder if I can ask a question, I got a vintage printed patternd by Advance, It is for a sub-teen and I am not sub-teen therefore I need to adjust this vintage pattern all the way around. My question is do I begin at a Bust Point or do I begin with Back/Neck, I wanted to the pivot & slide method but does it matter where I begin?

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

Karendee, I hadn't thought to wear those color blocked heels that I showed in my previous post. Thanks for the suggestion!

Judi, my inclination is always to start at the top of the pattern when it comes to alterations, getting it to fit in the shoulders and neck first and then progressively move down. Good luck with that pattern!
Kathryn

Unknown said...

This dress is fabulous!!