Harlequin Vest
Woven on a Hand Held Pin Loom
I saw the cutest vest kit on Etsy and had to give it a try. It's called the Harlequin Vest for Zoom Loom, designed by Lois Weaver, a really lovely person to do business with. You can buy the complete kit with the 4 inch Zoom Loom, but since I already had a hand loom, I bought the kit without the loom.
A Zoom Loom is a lot like those potholder kit looms that we used for Mother's Day gifts back in the day. I still have the one my kid made for me when in kindergarten. It's lovely. Seems as though she got tired of working on it so she just pulled it off the loom and wrapped it up. It's still my favorite (nonworking) potholder:
Anyway, back to the Zoom Loom. Here's what it looks like
The vest comes in long or short versions in two sizes, S/M or M/L. I chose to make the long vest in the M/L size, necessitating 70 squares. Each square takes about 45 minutes to make.
So here's my completed vest, front and back with closeups:


It is made with 5 skeins of Tempo yarn by Filatura di Crosa in the Sunset Color option.
Since this is a variegated tweed yarn, the squares end up a range of sunset hues from maroon to orange with greens as a background. The real fun is to arrange the final squares into a pleasing arrangement.
It was great fun to fiddle with the colors. I love the way the front turned out. The back, well, since I used up every bit of the yarn making squares, it sort of fell into whatever arrangement was left. I had 2 squares left over, since I wanted to use up all the yarn and have at least a bit of leeway in selecting the squares to be used.
The directions were to hand sew each square to the next using the long tails left from weaving. That would be mind-numbingly boring for me, so I wove in all of the tails and sewed the squares together on my machine.
All in all, this was a fun project. I worked on it at night as I binge-watched Grantchester (1 season--slower going because I had to keep a sharp eye on that cute vicar), Broadchurch (2 seasons), Game of Thrones (1.5 seasons), Ray Donovan (1 season), and a boatload of old Barbecue Pitmaster episodes. My eyeballs have turned to rectangles from all that TV watching but in the meanwhile my squares turned into a lovely vest. (smile)






7 comments:
This is so cool! Do you wear it with anything under it or alone?
Carolyn, it is designed to be worn over a tank top or tee, and that's how I'll wear it. It's so drapey that it hugs the shoulders and upper bodice really nicely and then falls into folds. That's why I'll wear it with a close-fitting knit top underneath.
K.
Gorgeous! Looks like an expensive art piece! I admire your tenacity in making all those squares. Not sure I could have persisted. It sure was worth the effort.
What a fun and beautiful project! Now, I guess you need to work on something round, so your eyeballs go back to their normal shape. A hat, maybe?
Hugs.
WOW! I had to look twice because this was such an unexpected project! I used to love my potholder loom as a kid! What a clever idea to use the same idea to create beautiful, wearable pieces. Yours is GORGEOUS. I bet it looks stunning on you!
Wow, that is a a lot of hours!! But a good way to not feel guilty about watching so much TV. And you have a really cute top!
I just saw this on Ravelry and am thrilled to see my design all finished and ready to wear. Great work! It's fun to see how you arranged your squares too. And I never would have thought of joining them with a sewing machine! Also, thanks for your lovely description on Ravelry with links to my Etsy store. -- Lois
Post a Comment