Sunday, October 25, 2009

Mermaid Circle Skirt


Skirt photos: (taken on the deck outside of my sewing studio)


Well, this isn't a photo of my skirt, but it is a photo from the deck outside my sewing studio. It's such a glorious Fall day, mild temperatures, sunshine, and not a cloud in the sky. Now to the skirt:

I fell in love with this fabric when I saw it in the sale room at Paron's Annex in NYC. The colors are gorgeous, and some of my favorites. The mermaid motif, while perhaps risque to some eyes, looked enchanting to me.

Every summer I make at least one full circle skirt. I love wearing them for their comfort and because they can really showcase pretty prints. Somehow the summer got away from me this year, so my summer circle skirt became my autumn circle skirt instead.

I wore this outfit today (with some beige espadrilles tied with paprika ribbon) to a Sunday brunch at our friends' home. It got rave reviews, so that was nice too, besides enjoying a delicious brunch with a group of interesting guests.

Closeup:





Lining view:





And a couple more views. The top, jacket and belt are purchased.





Pattern used:

Self-drafted pattern using the instructions on this website:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/crispin.roche/circular.htm




Materials:

Skirt: Rayon print from Paron's Annex, New York City

Poly lining from stash

Mettler 100% Poly thread

Maxi Lock serger thread

Invisible zipper from stash


Things I did with this project (that weren't in the pattern instructions):


There were no instructions, so I just did the simple skirt assembly, using stay tape at the waist, and lining the waist to the edge (no waistband).

An invisible zipper was inserted in the left side seam.

The hem was finished using the rolled hem setting on my serger.


Things I learned (or was reminded of) in this project:


I was pleased with the skirt layout, placing the center front on the lengthwise grain and the side seams on the selvedges. This makes the side front and side back areas lie on the bias. With a print, I wanted the central motif to be right side up at the center front. This means that the orientations of the other images fell where they may. Because the center front was also on the straight of the grain, there were fewer folds in that area, so that motif was the most openly visible there (and in the center back, of course).


Things I would do differently were I to repeat this project:


This was such a simple project, that there is really nothing to improve upon. I've made several circle skirts in the past, and this skirt goes to join its cousins in my wardrobe.

16 comments:

Shannon said...

What a fun skirt - I love the print!

Oh, and that very is simply TDF!! I'm so jealous.

wendy said...

Oooh, look at those autumn leaves :-)

The mermaid is too cute! I love how the folds on the side break up the print a little there in the pictures... and it looks so swishy and fun to wear!

Gail said...

Not sure which is more beautiful, the view or your skirt.

Rose said...

What a pretty outfit! and a totally gorgeous view!

Ann Made Studio said...

WOW that view is awesome! So many colors.
Your outfit is just absolutely gorgeous.

Claudine said...

I'm digging that turquoise and coral color combo!

Vicki said...

What do I comment on first? The view or the skirt? Both so beautiful. The skirt is so cute, I must try that myself. And the whole outfit comes together so well. Clever idea with the shoes. Love a matchy matchy girl!!

gwensews said...

Beautiful outfit. The colors are gorgeous. You are so loucky to have that beautifu view. What an inspiration to go to your sewing room!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Love the new skirt!!! Now that autumn is here will you be sewing more? I've missed your wonderful creations!

senaSews said...

I love your skirt - and the view! The print is nice, it looks like a Cavalli print.

shams said...

Gorgeous! Perfect workmanship, so whimsical, and beautifully accessorized. Love it!!! (And that view, oh man!)

Stash said...

Love everything about it! And, the fall leaves are TDF. Great backdrop for another beautiful creation. Such a cute print too...

Eugenia said...

That's a beautiful skirt - I love that fabric.

Mardel said...

What a beautiful skirt Kathryn! A nice brightly printed skirt is so cheerful, it just makes the heart sing and yours looks like a very fun skirt to wear. I'm glad you got your circle skirt made, I always look forward to your new one each year.

Anonymous said...

Very cute skirt and I love the outfit. Very bright & happy to match the creator.
Susan(fabricluver)

Anonymous said...

A great combination of colors