Tuesday, May 10, 2011

McCall's 6069: The Easiest Dress of All Time

I first noticed this pattern when Martha, a member on my favorite sewing site, Stitcher's Guild, described making it for her daughter. That was months ago. I got the pattern recently and knew immediately what to do with the op art fabric that had been marinating in my fabric collection for the past few years.

The rayon lycra fabric came from Lucy's Fabrics online store. Sadly, that site's owner no longer sells her wonderful knits. She has some great trims and buckles, though.

This has got to be the easiest dress ever, and I modified it to be even easier. Here's the dress:

Belted Version:
Front view


Back view


Unbelted Version:
Front view

Back view


Here is the pattern:





And here are the modifications I made:

1. Eliminated the waistband seam and the encased elastic. This converted the dress to a simple shift dress, and the sleeveless version into two pattern pieces only.

2. Added slits at each side seam at the hemline for walking ease.

3. Added bra strap carriers on the inside of the dress at the shoulder seams to keep the dress from slipping off my shoulders.

4. Eliminated the pockets.

With two pattern pieces and the sewing machine and serger already threaded, the dress can be made in under an hour. It is essentially a tube, the same width from shoulders to hem, with indentations for the armholes. It also has a lot of ease. I made a size 8 in the shoulders and a size 12 from the armholes down.

Since it is a tube, the dress shoulders need to be secured to prevent them from slipping. The pattern shows a band in the back, but I didn't care much for that fix, preferring a more invisible method of attaching bra strap carriers instead.

I definitely plan on making this dress again, most likely for my daughter. To make it more work environment-friendly, I would use the View C front piece in place of the back drape piece. If I make it again for myself, I wouldn't change a thing, making all the same modifications that I made for this dress.

22 comments:

Rebecca said...

Great version of this dress! Thanks for sharing the pattern alterations! Did you use purchased bra strap carriers or did you make them?

Kathryn, aka fzxdoc said...

I made the bra strap carriers from bias tape and snaps, Rebecca. Thanks for the compliment on my dress!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! It kind of looks like my version. ;-) I left the waist seam out too. Good idea on the bra straps, I just used a pretty chain attached with hook/eyes so that I could change them out at my (ever changing) whim.

patti said...

Great dress--and I like the modifications. This pattern has been paired with a knit in my collection and is queued for summer sewing.

shams said...

I love it, Kathryn! And what a beautiful fabric!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Love, love, love the print you choose for this dress! Now you see why 4 knit dresses in a row have flown out of my sewing machine - they require so little work and fit so wonderfully!

Sharon said...

Beautiful dress and thank you for the tips on making it easier.

Gail said...

I love this dress. I've made this dress too and adore mine, it is so comfortable to wear.

Karin said...

Perfect fabric! It looks great! I like your fixes. I agree that the string across the top isn't an elegant solution. Yours belted is perfect.

Elaray said...

Great looking dress!. Eliminating the elastic at the waist was a great idea. Now you have the option of a belted dress or an un-belted sheath.

Anonymous said...

Super comfortable dress, Kathryn. I like the design..very nice back interest in addition to cowl front. Added to the list!

Fran G

Mardel said...

That is gorgeous! I might have to get that pattern just because easy and stylish is exactly what I need right now.

Rachel said...

That is very pretty!! I have that same pattern.

Anonymous said...

Very nice, Kathryn! I have to say, I was shocked when you said that it was the 'easiest dress ever.' You see, I put that band in the back, and I think that I spent 2 hours trying to understand what I was supposed to do. The dress eventually turned out to be very pretty, but I think I shall try a new and improved 'Kathryn version!'

Kristen

Audrey said...

Lovely dress! The print knit was the perfect fabric for it. I love the cowl in the back. For some reason on dresses like this, even when worn with a belt, I need the waist elastic to restore the blousing above the waist after I sit down.

gwensews said...

That's very pretty. As always.

Anonymous said...

I bet the dress is super flattering on you! Thanks for sharing the modifications -- I prefer the bra carrier solution, too.

SewBarbie said...

Very elegant, I know you will love wearing it.

Tany said...

Easy or not, you made an excellent job! I love it!

pdiddly said...

I love this looks great with or without the belt

Cennetta said...

Another winner. You and I have similar taste is style. But you certainly take creativity up a few notches. I really like how you redesigned this dress.

Sylvia said...

I think that dress is fabulous. I just love the fabric. Takes me back to the Sixties.