Catching Up and a Goodie Report
Wow, it's been a while since I last posted. Life has been persistently intervening, in a good way. Besides travel and a very busy social schedule, here's the main culprit (read: sucks time out of my day):
It's a new-to-me Leclerc Artistat 4 shaft 6 treadle loom which came with several shuttles, a bench, a warping board and a mini library of weaving books. I purchased it used (in pretty good condition) and spent a few days with some Murphy's Oil Soap and other cleaners, spiffing it up. I replaced all of the corded lashings and made a new polkadot cloth beam apron for it so it looks cute in my sewing studio.
Next I set about teaching myself the basics of using it, and have been enjoying the process. My goal is to be able to weave some of my own fabrics for jackets, dresses, pants and tops. So far I've woven a set of 9 placemats and a little sampler (shown in the second photo above). Placemat weaving is sort of boring, at least the style I chose, but it was essential to my learning curve. I'm enjoying learning about the interplay of color as a fabric is created.
You may recall that I purchased an interest in a more basic loom last July and 'blogged about it here.
I've got a zillion new weaving projects floating around in my brain. Of course that takes time from my sewing projects. I feel like the Old Woman Who Lived In a Shoe, having so many (hobby) children that I don't know what to do. I tear myself away from weaving to knit a bit, then tear myself away from weaving and knitting to sew, then tear myself away from weaving, knitting, and sewing to cook, and then tear myself away from all of them to read. (Notice that housework does not figure in this scenario.)
Now for some other goodies. My talented stepdaughter gifted me with three sewing-themed shadowboxes for Christmas which I promptly ensconced in my sewing studio:
She enjoys devising visual plays on words, so each shadowbox is a play on a sewing term:
Here are closeups.
Clicking on the pictures will bring up enlargements.
The fat quarter is a puffed-out representation of the coin, very cleverly done by printing the image onto tissue paper and gluing it to a rounded PVC cap used by plumbers. It's very chubby-looking!
Aren't they just the cutest additions to my sewing studio? I've always loved my stepdaughter to bits and now I love her even more for her generosity of time in making these gifts especially for me.
And speaking of additions to my sewing studio, I recently placed an order with Susan Khalje for some couture sewing supplies. I am at the muslin stage of making my DD's wedding gown and my own MOB dress (October wedding), and am busy hunting and gathering the supplies. About a year ago a friend (Patti, are you reading this?) encouraged me to try the Bohin wrist pincushion that Susan offers on her site. I love wrist pincushions and have three other styles of pincushions already, purchased solely for their cuteness factor. They meet the cuteness criterion, but they shed pins like a Siberian Husky sheds hair. I use a magnetic push "broom" to pick up pins from my carpeted studio floor.
Enter the Bohin Wrist Pincushion. It's pricey at $25, but man oh man does it ever hang on to my superfine sewing pins. Here's an action shot of the pincushion holding the pins in place:
Now back to sewing, weaving, knitting, reading, experimenting with a new dish in the kitchen...











9 comments:
Congratulations to your daughter on her upcoming wedding. I hope you will share the process of making the wedding dress and your MOB dress with us.
Wow! Lots of good things going on! I love the shadow boxes. Your stepdaughter is very talented.
And don't you love that pincushion. I never thought I would be so excited about a pin cushion, for goodness sake, but that one is comfortable, roomy and fantastic!
Kathryn, what wonderful gifts from your DSD for Christmas. She is a very thoughtful daughter. And the other daughter will be marrying in October! Wow, you'll really be busy in preparation for that event. Hope you have time to post some of your progress.
Karendee
Yes, it HAS been awhile! I started wondering if you were spending all of your time reading and cooking. ;)
I already commented on SG, but those shadow boxes are WONDERFUL. They are creative and cute - what a thoughtful SD.
Well, gee, you have until October. Maybe you should *weave* the fabric for the wedding! ;) You don't want to be called a slacker, do you? :D :D
I can fully relate with the opportunity cost of spending time on one all consuming hobby re lack of attention of another........... the little shadow boxes are so sweet and even nicer they came from your step daughter.
Look forward to seeing the wedding outfits come along - I will be taking notes :-)
Your daughter is very creative and I love her interpretations. I also totally covet your loom. I have always wanted to give this a try but am afraid it would pull me away from my sewing. Is that crazy?
Kathryn--yes, I'm here! Your new toy is wonderful, and I know your creativity will cause many lovely fabrics to come from the loom. The shadowboxes your stepdaughter made--any sewist would be proud to have those in her sewing space--be such space a nook, a room, or a studio--what love-filled gifts! Glad you like the pincushion (Susan was the speaker at the Haute Couture Club of Chicago meeting today). Some of us (ahem) know that October weddings lead to marvelous marriages. I look forward to seeing both the bride's dress and the MOB dress--which will appear in your own good time.
What wonderful pictures from your DSD. They look perfect in your sewing room.
Look forward to all the wedding outfits you will be making. Enjoy every moment of it.
Such a creative family. I absolutely love the shadow boxes made by your stepdaughter.
Post a Comment